- A responsibility to maintain services, create jobs and grow the city during the economic downturn.
- High unemployment rate of 8.9% (the highest in Queensland)
- Slow recovery of the tourism and construction industries.
- Continue to focus on providing high quality customer service in our core business areas.
This year's budget is framed around five strategic responses to the economic downturn, under the theme “Foundations for our Future”.
The priorities in the 2010/11 budget have been selected in response to the challenges before us, and the drivers behind the budget are:
- Building community infrastructure.
- Fostering vibrant communities.
- Creating and protecting jobs.
- Financial Responsibility.
- A sustainable economy
The Budget 2010/11 Action Plan - Foundations for our future - outlines the challenges, opportunities and commitments Council has made to each of the five key policies listed above.