Outdoor dining applications
Council has a permit scheme for outdoor dining throughout the whole Cairns area. It is our policy to encourage you to register with the Council and seek approval for a yearly permit if you carry out outdoor dining on a public footpath.
By implementing the permit scheme Council can ensure all outdoor dining is taking place:
- In locations which are suitable and have adequate space.
- In a manner which does not cause undue disruption to the local amenity or obstructions to footpaths (including the movement of pedestrians and vehicles).
- In a well designed environment.
- By those who have adequate public risk insurance policies.
Wherever you are in Cairns and surrounds, you will need to apply for:
- A renewal permit if you have an existing permit.
- A new permit if you manage a catering shop or restaurant who already has outdoor dining on a public footpath.
- A new permit if you manage a catering shop or restaurant and you would like to undertake outdoor dining in the future.
- A new permit if you have taken over new premises and you want to transfer the existing permit to you.
An Outdoor Dining Application form which is available in the related documents area, can be lodged with the Customer Service Centre and is to be accompanied by the appropriate fee.
Council conducts site inspections to determine outdoor dining areas that do not have permits, have permits that have been breached or have outstanding fees. You may be liable for penalty fines, backdated fees and/or confiscation of your outdoor dining furniture.